21 April 2021

WOYWW 620 - Paper almost too gorgeous to use

Morning from sunny Pembrokeshire.  We are having a long spell of dry weather, which is pleasing hubby as he is working on a field reseeding it for a different crop.  He is hoping for rain from Friday lunchtime, when he will have finished the field and then needs it to grow well.  

I had grand plans to get this blog post published earlier this morning, but then sat down to watch some tv and attempt to start a latch hook rug kit I bought last month.  I used to do a lot of latch hooking back in the 90s, but it must be my 'more mature' mind and I just couldn't figure out how to do the 'hooking'.  I have watched a couple of YouTube videos now, and will attempt again later.  I know it is simple, but I just couldn't coordinate my hands/hook/yarn.  Anyone else do latch hook?

My crafty work table on this fine Wednesday shows a paper pack I ordered from the tv craft channel which used to be called Hochanda a while ago.  It finally arrived yesterday and is as gorgeous as shown on the tv.  I am determined to get using it straightaway, well within a few days when I have finished some blogging/Etsy stuff/Pinterest etc.

You can also see my bullet journal and the various pens etc that I was using at the weekend to do this week's pages.  Cheap pens from Amazon and Arteza, which do a good job for the price.














I recovered from my first Covid vaccine within a couple of days.  Horrible at the time, but worth it.  Everything is starting to open up again in Wales.  I went to my friend's craft shop in Milford Haven last week (go and see Cheryl @ InHouse Crafts if you are ever over in Pembrokeshire - she has a treasure trove of a shop with a big variety of stash).  I have booked for my first craft workshop on 21st May - making mobiles/wall hangings from air dry clay.  Very exciting to be out and about again.  

We have decided to treat me to my own electric car.  We bought our Jaguar I Pace in August and it is fantastic (would never go back to petrol/diesel again).  However, it is a big car and I worry about parking in tight spots.  Used to have a Smart many years ago and always wanted another one.  They do an electric version now, and I plan to go and test drive in Swansea soon.  We have solar panels/battery storage, plus charger for the car, on one of the farmyard sheds closest to the house.  With some changes in routine with dishwasher/washing machine etc, we are mainly using free electricity from the sun now.  Most of our car journeys are from this free electricity too, so we are saving a huge amount of money each year.

Hope everyone is well.  I was very sad to hear about the passing of Victoria Thatcher last week from Covid.  She was an incredible digital designer, famous for her printable planner kits, and was always so lovely when ever I contacted her over the years.  RIP Victoria xx

If anyone would like to join in with WOYWW (What is On Your Workdesk Wednesday) this week, click HERE.

Ali x

10 comments:

Mary Anne said...

Worried for shot 2 myself - just a sore arm for a few days with the first one but not looking forward to worse side effects with shot 2. But it has to be done!Sorry to hear your lost someone you admired. Hopefully the vaccine will make that a less common occurrence soon. Have fun with your new car. I really do think they are the way forward.

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I’m glad you’re better after the jab now - we’re waiting for the second, hopefully it won’t be too long. IT’s years since I’ve been to Milford Haven, will have to have a road trip out there. How fantastic that you’re using free electricity to run the cars, I think Smart cars are great, perfect for town and surprisingly roomy!
Hugs LLJ 6 xxx

Lisa-Jane said...

I'm really tempted by a Smart electric but we're not sure about the costs at the moment. Apparently there is a significant part that needs replacing every 5 years or so (on electric cars in general) and so it negates the benefits cost wise, not sure about environmentally as we need to read more. Looking forward to heading your way on 6th May! Jan is coming over for a walk too. Stay safe and keep smiling, Lisa-Jane #5

Crafting With Jack said...

I can’t understand why the government don’t more people to have solar panels. The wind farms are so expensive and subsidised. We would have no energy problems if everyone had panels on their roof. Have fun with your new car - wonder if I would get me mobility scooter in one. My daughter had one for a while years ago/. Not much room in the back. Happy WOYWW and have a great week Angela #3

Helen said...

Good to hear the jab went ok. Great news that you have been out and about and booked for a workshop next month! Good luck with the car. Helen #4

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I think we just have to be brave and get on with the accine as the other possible option is not worth thinking about. We are definitely in need of some rain here as it's been very dry for some weeks. You take care and have a very happy creative woyww, Angela x12x

Diana Taylor said...

I love that paper pack - beautiful designs - I bet you'll enjoy using them. Glad you've had the first vaccine and got over the side effects, they weren't nice at all I found but definitely worth it - it's great that things are slowly opening up now.
Have a good week,
Diana xx #16

Sarah Brennan said...

So glad that you are getting out and about more Ali and that you have been able to book a workshop. SUch lovely new stash too. Can't help with the latch hooking I am afraid although my grandmother used to make rugs, I never learnt how. Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah #2

Shoshi said...

I used to make hooked rugs many years ago (early 1970s). Very easy, once you get the knack, and you get into a sort of rhythm. I had a long wooden thing with a groove in it, and you wound the wool around it and then cut along the groove, to end up with the correct length pieces - much cheaper than buying the ready cut ones. I had a friend who was making a rug, and she got fed up with working from one end, so decided to start again at the other end, and didn't realise how silly this was till she met up in the middle and found she'd created a rug with a parting!! Hope you enjoy your new car.

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #20

Susan Renshaw said...

Glad that it didn't take too long to recover from the jab and pleased that you are getting out and about now.
My dad used to do latch hooking and I did some. But the last rug kit I sold on ebay as we were coming to Australia.
Happy WOYWW!
Susan #14

Post a Comment

I treasure all of your comments, except the spam!

 

Ali Wade Designs Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon