25 August 2021

WOYWW 638 - Alcohol Inks

A very early Good Morning from a still dark Pembrokeshire.  After a few weeks of actually getting some decent sleep, I am back to waking early.  I blame both the cold/bug/Fibromyalgia flare that has been troubling me since last Thursday (giving me a high temperature, headaches, nausea at times) and also worrying about our last week of the house renovation.

I would love to say that I have been doing lots of crafting since my last WOYWW post (which is What is On Your Workdesk Wednesday and you can join in HERE).  However, that is not true.  I went to a craft workshop where we played with alcohol inks - and the results from that are still laid out on my crafty table.  The only other crafting (and that was only one session in front of the tv) has been some needle felting.  I am really looking forward to having the time and energy to sit down in my lovely craft room (by the way - the Ikea Kallax peg board doors have not been finished either!).

I missed WOYWW last week, as we had a day out to South Wales.  A track day for electric cars in the morning at the circuit near Cowbridge, and then onto Barry for grandson's 3rd birthday (where we walked to one of the nearby parks - so many lovely parks in Barry - for the kids to cycle around and go on the playground).

I haven't been to my usual Scrapbooking workshop on Fridays for a couple of weeks, and starting to do a cardmaking class on Tuesdays from September (plus the usual papercraft/mixed media classes at weekends, fortnightly), so might drop the Fridays from my calendar.  I need to remember that I am meant to be earning some money with my digital designing, so cannot be gallivanting off to craft workshops too often!

We did a few techniques with the alcohol inks - a ceramic tile and a little ceramic pot (shown in close up after I took the cling film off), plus some shaving foam stuff on mountboard.




We had another day out on Monday - had to take our Jaguar to the dealership in Swansea for its first MOT.  They needed the car all day, so we arranged to test drive the new Landrover Defender (which was very impressive and we would be buying one if they had an electric version already).  We went out to the Gower for a few hours - such a beautiful area, but too busy for us at this time of year.  We had some lunch down at Oxwich Bay and a walk in the dunes (where I totally failed to remember to take any photos!).  Here is the Defender (with reflection of the cottage we were parked next to - I spotted some Welsh ponies with a foal in a field, so stopped to take photos)





My stepdaughter and 2 grandchildren move into our rental house on Sunday and there is still lots to do in the house (the builders were delayed by a plumber not turning up when arranged).  Therefore, I am either at the house checking on progress/cleaning round/dropping off stuff that I have ordered like the blinds and curtains, or worrying about it !  Once it is all finished, by the end of September I hope, I will be taking a few days off.

I hope everyone is well and getting more craft time than me.

Ali x

10 comments:

Mary Anne said...

Your alcohol ink play looks lovely and fun. I seem to have a pile of all the vintage colours and few of the brights! Ah well, an excuse to shop…one day!
Love the scenic photos too. And lovely to have family close. My son in in California and I miss him a lot!
Happy Woyww
Mary Anne

Helen said...

wow, you sound like you had a busy week, the days out sound great fun though and the alcohol ink workshop looks fun - very pretty!! Take care and happy WOYWW Helen #3

Sarah Brennan said...

Hope you are feeling better soon and that the house is finished so you can relax a bit more Ali. Love the pot with the alcohol inks! Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah #7

Neet said...

Sounds as if you are busy, both socially and otherwise. Good for the soul.
Nice crafting on show - I remember when we did the AI on tiles at our club, thanks for the reminder - those pre Covid days are a blur now.
Hugs, Neet x8

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I love the colours you’ve used with the alcohol inks, both projects are brilliant! How marvellous to poodle around in a new car and especially in the Gower. Did you find it busier than normal, we were astonished at the numbers of cars and people at Rhossili. Hope all the renovations finish quickly, it’ll be great to have family so close!
Hugs LLJ 4 xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I really should get some alcohol inks out again, loving what you've been doing here. You're lucky you have so many workshops to choose from sounds great fun. The day out sounds great too just what is needed. We're waiting for the children to go back to school then maybe go somewhere when it's quiet. Have a lovely woyww, whatever you choose to do. Hugs, Angela x9x

Christine said...

Hmmm I have some alcohol inks somewhere. Peter persuaded me to buy some yuppo paper and a couple of inks if I wanted to try it . . . . I tried it ...
Love your tile, did you have to bake it to set the ink?
Enjoy your week
Christine #14

Shoshi said...

Sorry to hear how poorly you've been, Ali, and I hope you are feeling better soon. Your alcohol ink projects are gorgeous! It's brilliant that it can be used on so many surfaces. Your countryside photos are lovely too - I haven't been to see the Dartmoor ponies and their foals for ages and it's always a delight to see them with their little spindly legs.

Thank you for your comment. I did have to be helped on and off the "torture table" but once they'd adjusted it to suit me it really wasn't that uncomfortable. I was on it for about 20 minutes, which is about the length of each treatment, I think, so it's survivable! I get our spplements from Healthspan which is based in the Channel Islands. Very good quality stuff. I found the menopause ones took a while to start working but they certainly worked for me! I was reluctant to have HRT - there's an established increased risk of breast cancer and if the symptoms can be managed naturally, so much the better. My current symptoms on the oestrogen blocker are mild, and manageable - no night sweats for several nights, and only 2 or 3 hot flushes a day which are nothing like as bad as the real menopause ones. I've been on the medication for a fortnight now and I think that's probably long enough to estabish a pattern of what to expect, so I'm hoping it won't get worse!

I agree with you that the steam generator iron is a lot more efficient than a regular steam iron. Mine can be used as a vertical clothes steamer too, if you want. Although I enjoy ironing, I do prefer an iron that is easy, quick and effective because of my fatigue levels - no point tiring myself out unnecessarily!

Happy WOYWW,
Shoshi x #11

Caro said...

Sounds like you had a busy week. Loving your playing with the alcohol inks. I got some years ago, but haven't played with them in ages... Happy WOYWW. Take care and stay safe, With Love & God Bless, Caro xxx (#15)

Susan Renshaw said...

I am interested by your alcohol inks on the ceramic time and the pot! Something else I maight have to try!
Happy WOYWW!
Stay safe and keep well!
Susan #5
Calling All Crafters! – My Blog!

Post a Comment

I treasure all of your comments, except the spam!

 

Ali Wade Designs Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon